Chili’s Awesome Blossom – The Ingredients:
- 1 large yellow or white onion
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp. coarsely ground black pepper
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- 2 tsp. seasoned salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tbsp. tomato ketchup (catsup)
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1½ tsp. fresh horseradish
- ½ tsp. seasoned salt
- ¼ tsp. paprika
- 1/8 tsp. crushed red pepper
Chili’s Awesome Blossom – The Process:
- Slice the TOP ¼ of the onion off and carefully peel (leave root intact).
- At the flat surface of onion top, cut down through center to 1/2″ from root. Repeat this process like you would a pie or a pizza… do your best to make 16 sections (8 cuts).
- Soak onion in cold ice water for ½ an hour. The onion’s petals will “bloom!”
- In large bowl, mix all dry ingredients together.
- Pour buttermilk into a separate bowl.
- Drain onion, then dip it into the dry ingredients. Dust well.
- Dunk dusted onion into buttermilk. Coat thoroughly, getting inside the “blossom”.
- Roll onion through the dry ingredients one final time.
- Deep-fry onion in oil until golden brown.
- When finished, thoroughly drain onion and place in the center of medium serving bowl.
- Use a 1 to 1½ inch round cookie cutter to hollow out the center of onion. This is where your ramekin of Blossom Sauce will go!
- Mix all ingredients together. Blend thoroughly.
- Pour into small ramekin and sprinkle with paprika.
- Place in the center of your Awesome Blossom.