Very few things can rival the fantastic taste of Chili’s Chicken Enchilada Soup. With big, juicy chicken breast pieces, lots of cheese, and the perfect base… not too mild, not too spicy, Chicken Enchilada is one of the most perfect soups out there!
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup chicken base
- 3 cups diced yellow onions
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons granulated garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups Masa Harina (Mexican flour)
- 4 quarts water (divided)
- 2 cups crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 pound processed American cheese (Velveeta works great!), cut into small cubes
- 3 pounds cooked, cubed chicken breast
- Mixed cheese shreds, fresh pico de gallo, and crunchy tortilla strips
- In large pot, combine oil, chicken base, onion, and spices. Saute until onions are soft and clear (about 5 minutes).
- In a mixing bowl, combine Masa Harina with 1 quart water. Stir until all lumps dissolve.
- Add Masa Harina “rue” to sauteed onions, bring to a boil. Once mixture starts to bubble, continue cooking 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly. This will eliminate any raw taste from Masa Harina.
- Add tomatoes and remaining 3 quarts water to pot. Let mixture return to boil stirring occasionally.
- Add American cheese (or Velveeta) to soup. Cook, stirring occasionally, until cheese melts.
- Add chicken; heat through.
- Ladel into BIG soup bowls.
- Top with mixed cheese shreds, pico de gallo, and tortilla strips.
- Enjoy your Chili’s Enchilada Soup!